Friday, February 02, 2007

Puppies!


While I was home last you may have heard me talk about our dogs. When I returned I had discovered that one of them had disappeared and the other one had six puppies. So instead of two dogs barking all night and brining in all sorts of interesting 'treasures' into the compound, we now have seven. Life for a dog is Sudan is not a nice one. They have rocks thrown at them and are beaten so I thought is was kind of my to want to end their life early on. But I lost that vote so now we have to find homes for six puppies in an environment where they are pests - not pets. But they are kind of cute and I find it funny when they try to bark and scare me off when I come to see them. So if anyone wants a pure Sudanese mutt let me know and I can try and get it to you.

Other than trying to find homes for these puppies, we have been keeping ourselves very busy. The situation here has changed a lot for us. The areas that used to be safe for us to work have been unsafe to go to for over six weeks where our unsafe areas have opened up for us to work in. In one area right now we are trying to get blankets, jerry cans and soap to over 30,000 people that have fled their homes and are living under trees while their children die from the cold. While the sitaution for Darfurians continues to decline the areas that NGO's are able to travel in and work in decrease. There has been at least three NGO's that have pulled out of Darfur all together becuase of insecurity and their inablility to do the work that needs to be done. So we go through the ups and downs off it all yet seem to continue operating and have been safe doing so.

Even though it seems like the craziest place to work I am loving it. I used to count down the days from at least four months before I got to go home from Mozambique. Even though I was a 20 min walk from the beach and all the seafood I could eat, I didn't like it. But here I am in the desert in the middle of the world's largest humanitarian crisis and I love it! I love going back to Canada to see everyone but at the same time, I don't want to leave this place. Ya maybe I have just gone crazy. But at the same time I do need short breaks to eat some good food and get away from the war zone, so I am off to Egypt on the 16th. I have found a great little beach resort on the Sinai peninsula that I'm going to hang out at for a week and get some sleep. I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: