Saturday, October 20, 2007

Update

I just wanted to put a quick update on where I am and what I have been up to. After I returned from R&R in Kenya we were told that we couldn't go back to Darfur. Becuase of the Muslim holidays things were starting to get insecure and so the UN strongly suggested that organizations 'relocate' their staff out of Nyala. Techinally it wasn't an evacutation because the UN didn't increase the security level to a level 4 (whatever that means) so all but two of our expat team were 'relocated' to Khartoum. So we filled up the guesthouse in Khartoum and rented some hotel rooms to accomidate us all for the past couple of weeks. There are some benefits to Khartoum like AC, great food and fun activities like bowling and swimming that we did to pass the time but all I wanted to do was come home. Right now there is so much work to do with my program because of some new funding that just came through so I had a hard time sitting by a pool and really enjoying it when I knew how much work should be happening. I know it doesn't sound like I was suffering but it was still a challenging time. But I finally was able to come back to Nyala this morning. It's so great to be back. Some things have changed and I'm very amazed at all the insects in my room but it's still home. So now the work begins. 138 classrooms to be built in two months ...... wow I better get back to work.

No comments: