Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Very Merry Christmas

I can't believe that it is Christmas Eve. Bryan and I spent a fantastic day driving through the mountains and taking some time enjoying one of our favorite places in the world. Every time I get back to the mountains I wonder why I leave them. They are really stunning.

This last month has been very eventful. Between Bryan finishing up his Masters program, our little one trying to enter this world a little early, selling most of our possessions and packing up the rest to make the move to Calgary, we are enjoying the much needed rest during this Christmas season.

I was very sad to leave Halifax behind. It was a fantastic 15 months that gave us some much needed rest, healing and strength. I know that it will be a time of our life that we will look back on with fondness and wish that it didn't have to end. However there are new things in store for us and the call from Africa is too strong to ignore. In the process of packing and preparing to leave I found myself in preterm labor at 33 weeks. That was not in the plan! So off for a night in the hospital for some steroids to speed up baby's lung development and other drugs to stop the contractions to try and convince this little girl to stay a little longer. Thankfully they seemed to have worked and she is still hanging around and making me more uncomfortable each day. I have to remind myself that me being uncomfortable is the best thing for her and that I just need to suck it up and ask for another foot rub to somehow make me feel better. While this was all happening Bryan was finalizing his last few papers and presentations and somehow held it together and finished off his program very successfully. It's great to see all that he has accomplished and I am so proud of him for how hard he worked and stayed focused on getting the most out of this time. With Bryan trying to finish school and me trying not to go back into labor, my angel of a mother flew out to Halifax to finish our packing, clean the flat and help us get all our things on the plane to Calgary. We couldn't have done it without her. I like to think that I'm a strong independent person but I have to admit it was fantastic to be able to rely on her to get the work done. The move went strangely smooth with no complications or surprises. I kept waiting for something to fall apart but it didn't happen!

So now we are living out of trunks in my parents basement waiting for this little one to come - and this time we will let her. It has been hard to slow down and enjoy the last few weeks of quiet days and full nights of sleep. Bryan and I both want to get on with things and start life again. But I have to remind myself that this time also needs to be seen as a gift and to enjoy it for all it's worth. With just three weeks before my due date we are eager to meet this little girl and after all the hassle and worry of her trying to come so early she better not be late!

I hope that all of you are enjoying your Christmas with friends and family. I know some of you may be far away from your loved ones and are doing the best to make this season special. I hope that somehow you are able to create some memories that will make Christmas 2011 a fantastic one. Wishing you all the best!

1 comment:

Mark and Nikki said...

Hey Angie- Happy New Year! I was wondering if the baby arrived yet - I will stay tuned!

-Nikki