Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dust Anyone?

So I’m sitting here in the Khartoum team house watching a little ‘Friends’ on TV and it starts to get dark outside a little too early. So we take a look out the window and watch my very first sand storm roll in. It’s rather interesting. Everything turned orange and the houses a couple doors down disappeared. It’s still happening right now but the orange turns lighter and darker as the wind picks up. This is just one of the few firsts that I have experienced in less than a week in Sudan.

undefined
So I’m sitting here in the Khartoum team house watching a little ‘Friends’ on TV and it starts to get dark outside a little too early. So we take a look out the window and watch my very first sand storm roll in. It’s rather interesting. Everything turned orange and the houses a couple doors down disappeared. It’s still happening right now but the orange turns lighter and darker as the wind picks up. This is just one of the few firsts that I have experienced in less than a week in Sudan.

Tomorrow morning I am flying again but this time just a two hour flight to Nyala (a town in Darfur) where I will be living for the next year. I have spent the last couple of days doing actually very little. Most say that I should enjoy it while I can but really it’s driving me nuts. I would rather be busy working but I’m sure my time will come. I have been doing some training but not as much as I expected to be doing. But it has given me a chance to join the country director in visiting some projects that we are assisting in. It was a good chance to see a bit of Khartoum and hear some stories from Sudanese people about what has been happening in their lives.

One of the greatest firsts for me was being able to cross over the Nile. Khartoum is built on the area around where the White Nile and the Blue Nile come together to become The Nile. It struck me as to how blessed I am to see this. However, I crossed the Nile the modern way by driving over a big bridge not the romantic way of rowing across it in a rickety wooden boat. But I take what I can get.

So tomorrow my life changes once more as I head into Darfur. I think I’m excited now. It’s been a process of sadness to leave Mozambique, nervousness in entering the great unknown and now excitement to see what this adventure holds for me. I know that there is a lot of work ahead of me. Finances have been a tense point for our staff in Durfur for many reasons so I am kind of getting sent into the lion’s den. But the good thing is that I don’t think I can make things worse. Things can only get better.

No comments: