Saturday, May 06, 2006

Safe and Sound

Well I have made it to Sudan. The flights went well other than the extra luggage costs (they were only going to allow me 20kgs!) and I arrived with people waiting to pick me up. So all went well. I met this great lady from Germany that has been working in Darfur since December as a doctor for MSF. So it was great to talk to her about her perceptions and how she has dealt with everything. It was a great blessing to have talked to her and I felt a little bit more prepared and excited by the time I got off the plane.

I got to meet a lot of the team on the first night. They all left the next morning for Nyala but at least I got to spend a couple of hours with them. They all seem very nice and I'm looking forward to getting to know them more. Here Friday's and Saturday's are the weekends so I arrived with two days off ahead of me. Not a bad way to start off. I haven't had much of a chance to see Khartoum but it looks like a modern city. The roads are nice and the buildings have this middle eastern touch to them. Very different from Mozambique.

Africa amazes me how diverse it can be but at the same time very similar. As I went from east to west last month it was strange to get off the plane in Liberia and it felt like I did a lot of flying but ended up in the same place. There are so many things that are the same between the two countries. Yet I got off the plane in Khartoum and there was no doubt that I have entered a different world. It's hard to find similarities between Mozambique and Sudan. Many people reffer to Africa like one big country. Yet each country has it's own 'flavor' and I'm excited to discover Sudan's.

It looks like I will have a couple more days in Khartoum before I head off to Nyala. So I will enjoy the luxuries like restraunts and air conditioning while I have them

No comments: