Thursday, March 01, 2007

Riding off into the Sunset

I had the most amazing experience today. I signed up for a quad ride through the desert. It was so amazing. The quad riding was fun but that wasn't the highlight. Unfortunatly you go in a line behind a guide and you have to only go as fast as they let you. Plus I was with a bunch of Russians who thought the rules were not for them, so they had to keep slowing down until everyone got back in line. But it was so great to ride along the base of these oddly majestic mountains. At one point I looked over at the amazing sight of a couple of bedouin men riding their camels but of wait .... they were just tourists on a camel ride - but in my mind they are still bedouin on their camels. Then we made a quick stop for a drink and I bought a neckless and bracelet from a very cute little old woman. Then in the spirit of my Egyptian experience, one of the guides was being once again too forward and decided that I should go on a camel ride. So he paid for me to get on this camel and go on a short little walk. That was my first experience on a camel. In true Egyptian style. Then we headed off again to this little tea shop built into the middle of some mountains. There we crashed on some cushions and enjoyed some bedouin tea and smoked a little sheesha. It was one of those experiences that I love. Riding out on some quads to a little tea shop and be served traditional tea. Then I hiked up to the top of one of the mountains and watched the sunset and enjoyed some of the most breath taking scenes in my life. Unfortunaly I forgot my camera so you will just have to trust me on this. The mountains are these strange pillars of rock with very few trees at the base - true desert mountians. Then it was back on the quads riding back to the base in the setting sun. I can't put into words how amazing it was.

The funny parts about the trip were the Russians asking for vodka at the tea shop and the crazy tourism part of it all. You have to wear a scarf (which the guys tie on for you) around your head and over your nose and mouth to protect you from the dust. Then you put on your sunglasses and these funny helmets. As you are sitting on your quad at the base there is a photographer taking your picture in hopes that you will buy it. Why do I want proof that I looked as crazy as I did? Well not me but I guess he has to make a living somehow. They even offer to put it on a t-shirt or a wall hanging - ya I'm sure my dad would love to wear a shirt with me on it looking like that! Well maybe I'm wrong. Then another guy follows you during the whole trip in a truck with his video camera catching every moment. Well ok I bought into that one. I didn't have my camera, I needed some sort of proof. So maybe I will have a DVD release party of my quad ride in the desert. If we put in on the big screen it could be like you were there with me.

Well another day is done on my vacation, a little more sunburnt but so much more relaxed. I wasn't as restless as yesterday and am starting to enjoy myself. My snorkling trip was cancelled for tomorrow so that will have to wait for another day.

No comments: