Monday, September 25, 2006

Canadian Pride

So I was getting my usual news fix this morning when I came across a very interesting article. The great thing about reading the news here everyday is that most of it will directly influence my daily tasks. So I read this one article that Bashir (Sudan's President)was upset with the US because while he was in New York for the UN meetings his movements were limited to New York and 25km outside of the city limits. So his response to this restriction was to limit Americans to Khartoum and 25km outside of Khartoum limits. I'm not sure what this will really look like. I guess this happened a couple of years ago but it only lasted a month. Bashir promises that he will not reverse his restrictions this time. So our expat team in Darfur consists of one Ethiopian, one Kenyan, one Canadian (that's me) and five Americans. To travel into Darfur area you have to apply and get approved for a travel permit. So we were planning to get a permit for a guy traveling out to Darfur tomorrow and because he is American he was refused. Who knows what will happen with the American's that are already in Darfur but I'm sure we will find out soon enough. There is always enough drama in Sudan to keep things exciting. But I can say this much - I love being Canadian.

No comments: