Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ramadan

It’s the first day of Ramadan. This 30 day Muslim holiday has come and gone in my life for 28 years but this year I think it will be hard to ignore. During Ramadan Muslims fast during daylight hours from all food and drink and then once the sun goes down the parties begin. Devout Muslims take this month as a time for prayers and studying the Koran. The less devout Muslims take it as a time to be lazy, get out of work, have a bad attitude and then to party and eat a lot at night. People tell me that everything changes during Ramadan. I’m not too sure what to expect but already I’m not happy that I can’t get a cinnamon roll or a coffee whenever I want. It’s almost like being back in Nyala. What is the point of being in Khartoum if you can’t get a cinnamon roll?

I am hosting the SP auditor for the next couple of days. Usually an audit is stressful and a frustrating experience. But this guy is an encourager and I love having him around. But my time is starting to get crunched and the pressure is building. Too much to do before I head home in 24 days! I hope to head back out to Nyala on Wednesday so I can wrap up month end there. So there is lots of work ahead of me but I hope it will make the time fly.

No comments: