Sunday, September 10, 2006

Oh Transition

Greetings from Khartoum! Yes it is true - I am sitting in Khartoum enjoying the good food and AC rather than sweating in Nyala with the 5 different kinds of starch. How could I be so blessed you may ask? Well once again my position has changed. There must be something about me that says that things must change when I arrive. So the finance lady that is based in Khartoum is leaving earlier than expected which means that I will now be overseeing the finances for all of North Sudan rather than just Darfur. I'm not too sure how that will look exactly but I hope that I will still be able to live in Nyala rather than Khartoum. So I am up here for a couple of weeks for the hand over and to train our national finance person so that things are operating well enough for me to go back.

With all the uncertainty in Darfur it's nice to be out of the tension and stress but I do miss it already. There is a certain energy and excitement that you get out of being based in a field office with 70 staff. You feel like you are a part of things. Khartoum seems so far away from that world. There are some nicer luxuries that I enjoy here but I wouldn't trade the field life for a few comforts. So hopefully this will go well and I can head out back to my big Sudanese family.

No comments: