Friday, July 07, 2006

The Game

I have been feeling a little left out of 'the game' lately. My friends at home are all growing up - getting married, buying houses, thinking about babies and yet here I am in Darfur. It's kind of strange to feel so far behind in life. I have this great desire to go home and do the same. We now has DSL internet in the office so that means that I have been spending more time entertaining myself with whatever I miss from home and I can find on the internet. So I have found myself decorating my house in my mind and trying to find clothes that are actually in style and aren't faded and stretched out. Even in the midst of the poverty and lack that surrounds me I still miss some of the 'normal' things that I am used to. No all these things won't make me happy or fulfill me somehow but I am still human and was raised in Canada and I really miss the Canadian things.

Then I was reading BBC today and they mentioned a video game that you can play on line for free. It's called 'Darfur is Dying'. It was created to raise awareness of the situation here in Darfur. So I got onto the web site and played a little. It's funny how a video game can make you think and really put things into perspective. Usually when I get into this self pitty mode of 'poor me what is this life that God has thrown me into', He is quick to remind me that maybe it's not all about me. For some reason I am here and not in Canada with the new house, husband and a normal work day. That doesn't mean that I will never have that life but I am here and I think it's for a pretty good reason. I'm sure there are people sitting in the IDP camps right now as it rains wishing that they could return to their normal life too.

So check out the game and maybe it will help you realize too that whatever is pulling you into the 'poor me' mode may not be all about you. The web site is www.darfurisdying.com

No comments: