Saturday, July 01, 2006

Nyala Life

Sorry it's been a little while. Yes life gets a little out of control even here in Darfur. I have been plugging away at getting a handle on all the finance issues and finding budgets for everything we are spending. I have also started to dabble in program work. I am heading up a project working with 150 widows and their children here in Nyala. I will give more details later when I get funding and the project starts. I'm very excited about it.

I am up for my first R&R and am planning to head to Cape Town. Due to the many permits that are required here not only to get into Sudan but to travel within Sudan and to leave Sudan I have had to postpone my trip for another week. I'm due for a break but I think I can handle another week in glorious Nyala.

People have been asking for pictures of what I call home. It's nothing fancy but we don't suffer too much. I'm blessed to have my own room and we do have running water to the toilet and shower. The electricity works most of the time. You do get used to the dip in power and the constant on and off of the lights at night. Things are improving - we got an airconditioner this week! It's great to have somewhere to get away from the heat. Sorry about the dull blog but I was told I'm not aloud to talk about gun shots anymore because it scares people. So I won't tell you about the gun fire that woke me up the other night.

Enjoy the pictures of my room and of the girls' compound.

No comments: